Visa enquiries


A visa is a sticker or stamp placed in your passport that allows you to enter or remain in the UK for a specific reason and period of time.  If you obtain this before you arrive in the UK it is less likely that you will be refused entry, unless your circumstances have changed.

In order to qualify as an international student and obtain a student visa you have to meet certain requirements, as outlined in the Immigration Act. These are:
You must be able to show that you have been accepted on a course of study at:

A publicly funded institution of further or higher education; OR,

A private education establishment; OR

An independent fee paying school.

       You will be studying:
        A recognised full-time degree course; OR,

A weekday, full-time course involving at least 15 hours of organised daytime study per week; OR

A full-time course of study at an independent fee paying school.

       You must also be able to show that you:

Will be able to pay for the course, support and accommodation yourself and any family members you may wish to bring with you, without working in the UK.


What if I get refused?
If you are refused a visa you can appeal within 28 days using your refusal notice. If you are refused entry in the UK then there are two options:

If you have a stamp/sticker to allow you entry you may appeal while you are in the UK.

If you have no stamp/sticker you must leave in order to appeal against the decision.

It is important that you check appeal deadlines (as these vary) and that you appeal within the deadlines.

If you are unsuccessful you can request a refund of any deposit that you have paid to Radcliffe College, subject to conditions.

Do I need a visa to study in the UK.
Unless you are from the EEA it would be advisable to get a visa before arrival. If you are a Visa National then you MUST get a visa before arrival.

How do I get a visa.
You need to contact your nearest British Overseas Mission office and complete two forms, IM2A and IM2S

You usually will need to submit the following with your application to the Embassy/Mission office:

· Your passport or travel document.

· Two recent passport sized photographs.

· The fee, usually in local currency, and it is not refundable.

· Any relevant certificates that you have been awarded.

· A letter from the college or university confirming your acceptance upon a course, including costs.

· Evidence of sponsorship or evidence of funds to show you can support yourself in the UK. (Usually bank statements/payslips belonging to you or your sponsor).

· A letter from your sponsor that shows s/he will sponsor you in the UK.

· Any information that shows you have accommodation in the UK.

It is also advisable to have evidence that shows that you intend to leave the UK after your studies. This may be job offers/opportunities in your home country upon your return, property that you own in your home country, a wife/husband/children that you will return to.

Important Visa News! Important Visa News! Important Visa News! Important Visa News!
Visa Update
Most countries that are not visa nationals do not need a visa before arriving in the UK.

However the UK Government have announced that all countries outside the EEA will require a visa prior to arrival if the person intends staying in the UK for longer than 6 months.

The first phase will commence on 13 November 2003 when the nationals of the following countries must obtain a visa before arriving in the UK (only if you intend to stay longer than 6 months).

So if you wish to study at Radcliffe College you may wish to get your student visa before arriving.


You may arrive and get a 6 month visitor’s visa on arrival and change it in the UK, as you are not Visa Nationals.





New Zealand



South Africa

South Korea

Hong Kong

EEA Countries


















United Kingdom

The following countries have joined the EU in 2004. Some still have a referendum to decide if they wish to join. Assuming all join then students from these countries will be treated as ‘home’ students with regard to fees. The expected date for change is 01 May 2004, but the change date of fee status is still to be agreed.

All students will be charged the home rate on the next scheduled fee payment. Any overpayment will be deducted from a subsequent instalment or returned if paid in advance. The new countries are: Cyprus, Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Malta, Poland, Slovakia and Slovenia.

Visa National Countries

  • Kuwait
  • Laos
  • Lebanon
  • Liberia
  • Libya
  • Macedonia
  • Madagascar
  • Maldives
  • Mali
  • Mauritania
  • Mauritius
  • Moldova
  • Mongolia
  • Morocco
  • Mozambique
  • Nepal
  • Niger
  • Nigeria
  • Oman
  • Pakistan
  • Papua New Guinea
  • Peru
  • Philippines
  • Qatar
  • Romania
  • Russia
  • Rwanda
  • Sao Tomee Principe
  • Saudi Arabia
  • Senegal
  • Sierra Leone
  • Slovak Republic
  • Somalia
  • Sri Lanka
  • Sudan
  • Surinam
  • Syria
  • Taiwan
  • Tajikistan
  • Tanzania
  • Thailand
  • Togo
  • Tunisia
  • Turkey
  • Turkmenistan
  • Uganda
  • Ukraine
  • United Arab Emirates
  • Uzbekistan
  • Vietnam
  • Yemen
  • Zambia
  • Zimbabwe
  • Afghanistan
  • Albania
  • Algeria
  • Angola
  • Armenia
  • Azerbaijan
  • Bahrain
  • Bangladesh
  • Belarus
  • Benin
  • Bhutan
  • Bosnia-Herzegovina
  • Bulgaria
  • Burkina Faso
  • Burma
  • Burundi
  • Cambodia
  • Cameroon
  • Cape Verde
  • Central African Republic
  • Chad
  • China
  • Columbia
  • Comoros
  • Congo Republic of Croatia
  • Cuba Democratic Republic of the Congo (Zaire)
  • Djibouti
  • Dominican Republic
  • Ecuador
  • Egypt
  • Equatorial Guinea
  • Eritrea
  • Ethiopia
  • Fiji
  • Gabon
  • Gambia
  • Georgia
  • Ghana
  • Guinea
  • Guinea-Bissau
  • Guyana
  • Haiti
  • India
  • Indonesia
  • Iran
  • Iraq
  • Ivory Coast
  • Jamaica
  • Jordan
  • Kazakhstan
  • Kenya
  • Kyrgyzstan
  • Korea (North)


If leave to remain in your host country is refused by the Immigration Authorities for the following reasons. 

  1. Past and/or present poor attendance.
  2. A lack of funds.
  3. Providing incorrect information to the college.
  4. Providing incorrect information to the Immigration Authorities.
  5. Working without a work permit.
  6. If a visa application is withdrawn.
  7. If a student is refused a student visa but granted another kind of visa.
  8. If a student is dismissed for poor attendance or misconduct.
  9. If course fees are refunded, they will be paid to the student not to the person who has paid, unless otherwise stated by the student in writing.
  10. Refund will be made only when the processing fee of 40% of the tuition fee will be forfeited.
  11. All refunds will take approximately 6 weeks provided the college is notified by fax or in writing and original documents issued by the college and Immigration Authorities are received by the college within 7 days of any such refusal.
  12. Refunds will only be made by cheque or bank transfer.  Any bank charges must be paid by student.